Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Outdoor Summer Concert

It’s the best thing about summer. Forget the crème-topped snow cones, the farmers markets, or splashing in the community pool – the outdoor concert experience ranks #1 in my book. It doesn’t get any better than that. These feelings were rekindled after attending a recent Richard Marx concert with Miss Priss. Think what you might…but it rocked. It had all my qualifications for an amazing summer concert:

1. The Outdoor Amphitheater: This plays a crucial part in the concert vibe. Richard Marx was at a smaller venue with lawn chairs, crisp evening air, and a familiar voice from 1989. For me, any outdoor location will work. A few months ago I saw Chris Isaak on the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains. The same night, Miss Priss watched Incubus in the shadows of a Frito-Lay plant. The common thread – the same starry night. Different strokes for different folks.

2. Oldies and Goodies: I understand musicians’ tour to sell the newest album release…blah, blah, blah. In my opinion, the greatest hits puts the cheeks in the seats, man. Cough it up and play me all those cheesy love ballads. I will eat it up. I actually feel sorry when the artist plays a new song and the audience takes a collective smoke break. Luckily for me, I don’t smoke and try to avoid public restrooms at all cost (which makes it interesting if there's a long encore) – so I look at it as a private serenade of the not-so-familiar, but-still-live music.

3. The Impromptu Jam: I believe in seeing true musicians in concert, people that play their own instruments and sing into microphones, not headsets. Therefore the impromptu jam session is a necessity. Depending on the genre, I will sway, swing, and skank into a blob of sweatiness. And those who throw in a few cover songs into the mix receive bonus points (preferably in the form of scratch-and-sniff stickers – my favorite way of giving and receiving praise) and I will be a fan forever (oh yea…John Mayer…you heard me…keep up the good work…the tangerine sheet’s are in route).

4. The Post-Concert High: The lasting effects of a good concert are incredible. After the concert almost a week ago, Miss Priss and I have collectively listened to Hazard about 83 times and converted 6.7 friends into Richard Marx fans (our brother is a hard case…he’s in a big Hall & Oates phase). The last time we were this into Mr. Marx, I was driving a champagne 1990 Nissan Stanza and Miss Priss was 10. Yet after seeing him live, our "Safety Kids"-approved natural concert high has left us giddy and a little younger.

As a poster child for the effects of a fabulous live concert, I urge you to buy a ticket, pack the hoodie, and enjoy what’s left of the Endless Summer Nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've hit the triple digits with Hazard. Should we contact Guinness yet??