Friday, June 22, 2007

Knock On Wood

Yesterday, while in a heated conversation about radiant heating with my sister, I made a comment regarding the possibility of getting an A on my Anthro. final. Immediately after making said comment I frantically searched for the nearest wooden object to bang my knuckles on. With much dismay, the best I could manage was the wall, which, I can only hope, had some form of wood beneath the painted surface.

This got me thinking: why do I have to 'knock on wood' in the first place? I'm sure I could hop on Google to find where this jinxing superstition came from, but sadly, the ambition needed for a task of this magnitude was lost after the Jenga incident of '04... so sad...

Why wood? What makes wood the weapon of choice in this superstitious situation? In all seriousness, what if to save ourselves from the possibility of a jinx (that, I'm sure, would alter the entire course of our lives) we had to slap tile, or poke linoleum?

Where am I going with this? Knock on wood protest, baby! From here on out, I, Miss P, am no longer falling prey to this odd behavior. I will take the risk of a jinx! Superstitions are for suckers. Take that Stevie Wonder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.